Saturday, March 1, 2014

Big Boom Last Night

As soon as I was finishing up posting last night, the storm came in with a vengeance, we heard a boom and then dead silence.  And darkness.  Which for some unfortunate reason makes the toilets not flush and the water not run.

We hired a boat this morning to take us on a tour of the surrounding towns, many of which can only be reached by boat. Sylvia negotiated the price for us and then pulled me aside to tell me we paid too much.  Max was our captain, Patti was our SS Minnow.



We went to three different villages, each with a different feel.  What a beautiful country this is.  These are three inactive volcano sisters that ring the lake.


For 20 Q each we had a delicious lunch at Santiago Atitlan, I had my picture taken with the lady who was the model for a Guatemala coin (a coin I have yet to see).  We looked at coffee growing, toured a sweet little medicinal herb farm, saw some immensely wealthy catholic churches and enjoyed being on the lake.
Remember when chicken buses had chickens on top?  They're still called chicken buses but they have backpackers on top.  The pack was HUGE.  No wonder he wanted a  ride.


I intended to spend the afternoon reading, and watching the water when Ev said "you're going to want a picture of this".  I jumped up, jerked the card out of the computer and shoved it in the camera to capture these lovely women.  They were walking with alacrity, straight backed, carrying bowls filled with enormous naked chickens on their heads.  We followed them down to the river's edge where they began to clean them.  I asked, there's a fiesta in town tonight for a wedding, the women will be making a special dish for the party.
Dirty chickens:
 Clean chickens.  See the difference?


We never made it back up to the room, choosing instead to sit on the waterfront and chat with the vendors and their children.  I translated some key phrases for one of the ladies who makes her own dye, spins her own cotton thread and weaves some very beautiful fabric so she could wow future customers with her actual skill.  Ev flirted with the chicks.  And we stayed out until the sun went down.
We've decided to abort our published next stop, mom.  Will try to let you know where we land tomorrow.  I have my eye on a hot spring. xo

2 comments:

  1. the chickens are yellow skinned like they are supposed to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, Ev was asking me about their skin, I told him that knowing these Guats, they had probably been hand dyed that color. Never saw feet so big on a chicken.

    ReplyDelete