Sunday, January 4, 2015

January 4, 2015

Evboy and I took a drive this afternoon to circumnavigate Lake Chapala.  It was  a four-hour tour of all the different crops in cultivation around the area.  The soil is a deep black and spits forth blackberries the size of my big toe, blueberries that are small and brightly flavored and raspberries that we haven't tried yet.  We also saw agave, sugar cane, squash and a small bush I couldn't place.

The villages were teeming with Sunday families doing their shopping and eating at roadside stands.  I kept seeing men stirring gigantic woks over open fires, mounded with green-fava?  lima? what?  We stopped and I watched a grandpa picking pods off of the formerly unidentified bushes and handing baskets full to his son who was stirring the wok.   I bought a dollar bag, turns out they were fresh garbanzo beans.   A delicious combination of steamy heat, salt and smoke.  We made a mess in the car.

Evboy's Spanish is really progressing.  Today he went from "oh, shit! a tope!"  To, "what? my camino de doble carril has a pinche tope on it?"  Speed bumps.  Everywhere and unexpected.

Change of subject:  our gardener, Tony, asked for seeds for "rabanas" so when I was in California visiting Evboy this summer, I bought him some heirloom seeds.  He had them grown and ready to pick when we arrived 4 days ago.  Tony took us on a tour and pointed them out, then expounded on all the way he likes to eat rabanas.  I've never been a fan.  Today, after the garbanzo bean experience, we decided to give them a try the fanciest way I knew how: with butter and special salt.  They are beautiful, crunchy, peppery and all that.  Still not a fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment