Friday, February 13, 2015

It's a Good Idea to say Yes, even if you're feeling timid.

 This adorable man is our veterinarian.  Ev and I met him one day when we were walking the streets just looking to see what we could see.  He has a little storefront that carries flea powder and chicken scratch-the birdseed caught my eye so we stepped in.  His young daughters were there, they showed off their English counting skills and bagged my birdseed for me.  Juan Carlos is a large animal vet, mostly taking care of cows and sheep and pigs but "of course, senora! I will come to your house and vaccinate your cat. And will you teach English to the people of my town?"(just like that)

We made arrangements for a home visit for 11am Saturday.  Like most men in the area, he works other jobs during the week.  On Saturday, eleven came and went.  Noon came and went.  The cat, Mancha, was locked in the house. My neighbor's Xolo dropped in for a pedicure and I was afraid Mancha would get spooked and miss her shots.  Mancha began to growl and moan at the door-one of the most horrific sounds I've ever heard.  I was just about ready to give up hope when finally, covered in mud, the vet arrived.  "The bull, senora? She ran off and what was I to do? I ran after her."  OK. Fine

After the shots and pedicure, we sat and talked about English lessons.  He can provide the place, I can provide the expertise.  As he left, and sort of as an aside or afterthought, Juan Carlos invited us to his house on Sunday for "a little food with a few friends".  And "my brother in law is the President of Ixtlahuacan, you should meet him."  He drew me a map.

When it came time to go, Ev chickened out.  Grudgingly, I went by myself.  Tough stuff.  I almost chickened out twice on the way there.  When I saw the venue, I really almost turned around.  Like many of the houses in my town, the street view is rough.  Juan Carlos spotted me and pulled me into his home, heart, family and friends.  In Spanish, he said, "I am busy and I apologize for not being able to attend to you but go with confidence (a little push) these are all friends here and you are welcome."
His darling daughter spotted me, grabbed my hand and said (in Spanish), "where is your husband?"  I told her he was embarrassed because he didn't speak Spanish, so he stayed home.  She said, "I could talk to him in English." "What could you say to him?"  A sly grin, and perfectly enunciated English, "teacher may I please go to the bathroom?"
This was borrega being cooked.  Some of the best food I have ever had in my life.  Seriously.  He also had a huge pan of ceviche on ice with tostadas to go with.  A vat of refried beans.  A vat of "jugo the borrega" which turned out to be simmered bones with lime and chile. Killer.  And then these guests making piles of tortillas faster than we could eat them:

We tried to entice Ev to come by sending him a picture of me in front of this big slab of dorado being grilled with pineapple, onion and peppers.  No go.

No comments:

Post a Comment