Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Something for Everyone

A veeeery slow road where I could ride with the windows down and hi five the schoolkids, watch the mamas hanging wash on the fence and smell the smells of people cooking lunch on open fires in front of their houses:




A smooth road where Evdad could crank up Stevie Ray Vaughn really loud, eat peanuts and drive really fast:

Geothermal activity to wonder about:
Geothermal activity to soak in:
Horses to ride confidently:

 Stupid horses that try to bite you when you whisper in their ear that you've always been a little afraid of their species but you feel like today might be the day you overcome that fear just a little because you know her name is Alicia and you have a friend named Alicia that is kind and wonderful and you just feel it in your bones today is going to be a good horse riding day and maybe she'll cut you some slack and not try to knock you off with a tree limb.
 No, I didn't fall off.  I just put myself down flat on the earth to try to fully absorb what was happening around me.  We were in a group of five who all knew how to be still and quiet.  We stayed still and quiet for hours.

In Mexico, monarch butterflies are thought to be departed souls.  In Michoacan, there is a magical place where migrating monarchs return every year around Dia de los Muertos.  They overwinter in the high altitude and in late February they begin mating rituals.  When its cool, they clump in the trees, conserving heat. The clumps get so heavy, tree branches sometimes snap under the weight. Check this out on the national geographic channel because I was so busy forgetting to breathe and clutching my hands on my chest I couldn't think about getting a good photo.  If you click on the picture, you can see the clumpage a little better.

When the sun peeps out from behind the clouds, the butterflies gently release themselves out of their clumps and swish around looking for their perfect partner.  Even I could hear the sound.  My words and pictures are not enough to do the experience justice.  I hope you get to go someday.
There was mechanics of butterfly sex to wonder about:

See the two black dots on the lower wings near the abdomen?  That means it's a guy butterfly.  He'll be dead soon.  Happy ending?  Guess it depends on who you ask.

I'm adding these pictures that I received from a new friend I met while on this trip.  She did a wonderful job of capturing the essence of the day.  Thanks, Sara Kearney!

 A butterfly of butterflies, can you believe it?

 Steep trail.  Poor horses.  Ev says he will walk it on his own two legs next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment