Wednesday, September 11, 2024

One full Saturday in Regensburg, then have to unboat at 5:30am Sunday morning.

 "I am an adult and can make my own decisions" Robert announced as he climbed back into bed after breakfast on Saturday morning.

Well, ok!

The Regensburg walking tour had already departed, we'd made the decision earlier to play hookey and instead visit a little museum full of Roman artifacts from back in the day.

Robert being an adult left Dumb Navigator #1 (me) Dumber Navigator #2 (Joy) and Head injured Navigator #3 (Ev) to try to find our way to the museum all aloney on our owney. 

Armed with two paper maps and my cell phone, we tried to exit only to find ourselves in the middle of some more viking tactical moves. It's one reason why the cruises seem so magical, the nuts and bolts maneuvers happen out of sight when **most** of the passengers are doing planned activities. 

Because team Semrad/Sewell cruise to the beat of 20" crash cymbals we were front and center for quite a few behind the scenes tasks and loved every minute of it.Vikings kept apologizing and we kept saying, "it's ok, it's ok, we love watching the magic happen".

Onward into Regensburg. My phone has trouble tracking me when I walk so I was squinting and memorizing the 8 syllable street names so I could match them up with the teensy screen font. At one point I heard Ev comment to Joy about what a pain it was that the map was printed upside down. Not gonna lie, my confidence waned.

We persevered. The museum was lovely, everything tagged exclusively in German, Once again my workhorse phone and google translate photo served to explain all the cool little artifacts we got to see.

It's astounding to think about what these folks were doing in Europe while we were rubbing two stones together to make a fire and painting with cactus leaves in our neck of the woods.

I loved these little broken off feet and was surprised to learn that the theory of toe shape being ascribed to ethnicity has been debunked! All these years I have loved believing that my Morton's toe (long assed pointer-finger toe) meant I was spawned from Egyptian royalty.


This tiny, perfectly shaped horse torso was thought to be part of someone's sword hilt.


There were lots of these milk vessels in the museum, unearthed near children's graves presumably intended to feed them in the afterlife.

This was not in the museum, but in a window we walked past twice. I would have gladly hiked back up the hill to buy it had Ms Annette Muke responded to my pleas via text, call and email. Finally, a sugar bowl with a knob big enough for Ev's hands.



And sadly, that's all the pics of Regensburg. Maybe I was distracted because we needed to pack or I was already mentally preparing for the long treck home but I felt like I'd lost the thread.

That evening, the vikings had prepared a celebration for us in the common room but Ev and I (like the party animals we are) chose to drink our Welcome to Your Suite! Day 1 bottle of champagne quietly watching the bow cam and then moving outside to sit on the porch and watch Regensburg shut down for the day.




Sunday: Bags out by 5:30am, board bus at 6am. Because Dammit! No one has ever missed a plane on Lovey's watch and we were not going to be the first.




So long Bavaria, it was good to know ya! 💗

On a final note, about halfway through the 11 hour flight Muc to Atl, I realized I was getting sick. Real sick. I took a Covid souvenier home from Germany and sadly ended our trip on a low note. Than goodness for Paxlovid. In 3 days I was feeling human again.

1 comment: